Sunday, April 11, 2010

Taco Salad


I usually can't stand ground beef. There are very few recipes that I make at home that include ground beef so whenever Chip suggests buying some this is one of the first recipes that pop in to my head. 

I like to pretend this is a healthy version of a traditional taco salad :) I suppose it is slightly better with just a handful or two of fritos versus a whole fried tortilla used as a bowl but still...

I can't remember where I found this recipe but I've been making it since Chip and I first got married. It's super easy (It's going in the 30 minute meal section of the cookbook!) I shred lettuce, layer fritos, the meat mixture (ground beef, a can of mexicorn and about 1/4 cup of the "dressing"), some olives and repeat! You then top it off with the dressing which is 1/2 cup of chili sauce, 1/2 cup of salsa, 1 T chili and 1 t cumin. So yes-I swear there is lettuce in there!

Besides it being a quick dinner I like this taco salad because it's got a kick to it. The lettuce is crunchy and noticeable which I like. In normal taco salads (like the kind you would order at a restaurant) I think the fried tortilla is just too greasy and the lettuce gets lost in all the meat and cheese. I definitely like using fritos better because it adds a little crunch and corn tortilla flavor to each bite without it being too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment